Let’s face it, we all have stuff that we have to complete whether in your personal or professional life that we don’t want to do. Procrastination isn’t something new and this is why some people are professional procrastinators. As I’m writing this at this moment, my heart isn’t set on this blog entry. So it gave me a good idea as to share what I do to try and get through some tasks that I really don’t want to do.
- Put your phone down – My phone is a huge distraction throughout the day and I find that while it is full of useful information, it really gets in my way. I try and leave it in my bag or put on “do not disturb” if I really want to get something done.
- Add color and fun – Currently I’m working on drinking more water throughout the day. I’m finding that if I have a colorful water bottle sitting on my desk that I am more apt to drink from it. You can do this with anything like adding a fun background to your computer screen or decorating your desk. Make your space inviting for you.
- Set small goals – So one example is that once I am done writing this blog, I am going to get some chocolate. This gives you some motivation to get through the task and on to the next thing. I love to look forward to things like a great dinner or seeing my dogs when I’m done with a long work day.
- Engage your other senses – Every day I look at a lot of data and reports that can kind of be mundane. I like to use my ears while I’m working and it helps pass the time. Whether it’s music, podcasts, audio books or ambient sounds, getting your other senses tingling works. If you are feeling adventurous, try out some aroma therapy as well.
- Take a break – The last piece of advice I can give you is don’t force it and take a break. Sometimes, we overthink and overwhelm ourselves with a simple task. Just take a break, clear your mind, take a breath and don’t worry about it. Once you get back to the project or task then you will feel better about it and not procrastinate.
I took my own advice and I got through writing this blog entry. I wish I could be 110% about everything I need to do throughout the day but I can’t. Every time I’m on my way to becoming a professional procrastinator, I shake up my routine to keep myself on my toes. These things are what helps me through my work day and I hope they work for you as well.